Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day 1

As I write this post, I am sitting at the kitchen table with Logan having a mid-night snack. He did SO well yesterday while we were out exploring the island and then waiting in line to set up cell phones...so when we got back to the hotel around 2:30pm it was time for a nap. I put him down and decided to lay down next to him to make sure he stayed in bed. Well, we both fell asleep. BAD IDEA. Jon came in around 6pm and said we needed to get up, to which Logan and I looked at him like he was crazy and then rolled over on our stomachs. It's now 2am here and Logan and I just woke up from our nap. FAIL. So he and I are sitting at the kitchen table eating a small snack while Jon snoozes away.
 
The island here is beautiful! It's so hard to even express. We didn't stop and get out to explore, really just drove around and soaked it all in. Pure amazing. They have an American Village here with shops and places to eat specifically geared for Americans. Huge ferris wheel in the middle of the whole village, it's truly a sight to see. I did manage to snap a few pics but haven't uploaded them quite yet.
 
We did manage to get our cell phones set up yesterday...boy that was interesting. They only have 2 carriers out here, both of which had shops at our BX on base. So we scoped out both shops. One had a plan where we could call home after a certain time unlimited...but then we were charged about 50cents a minute to call anyone over here. They don't have cell phone minutes here! So crazy to me. So we ended up going with the other carrier where jon and I get free calls to each other and to other people with the same carrier. As well as unlimited internet and texting to each other and others on our network. We don't get free calls home on our plan, but there are apps we are finding and of course, facetime and our magicjack. Our magicjack we sent in our shipment which we can get once we get housing...so once we get that set up we can make more calls. We can also receive texts for free on our phones and I think she said we can imessage other people internationally for free...but jon didn't remember her saying that so i'm not 100% there. otherwise its about 4cents a text. and if we call other people like Jon's work or something it's about 25cents a minute. So basically these cells are for us to be able to communicate between each other.
 
We do have a car that we purchased, it's a Toyota Will Cypha and it's oh so cute. But we can't drive it yet because we don't have our license! We will get that after Monday when we start our briefings on the island and stuff. Driving on the opposite side of everything is super hard to get used to. I think i'll be ok except when it comes to turning into places. And I guess they have a 3 car rule after the light turns red--that 3 cars are allowed to still go. Kinda neat but kinda dangerous. I think i'd rather stop haha. Anyway, I think that's about all I can think of and process right now. :) Can't wait to see what today brings and what all we discover! I am really wanting to dive in and try some local places to eat but Sunday is a down day for the locals here so not much is open. (from my understanding, anyway.) Love you all!

January 2013....Such a sweet and intimate moment for our familiy. A moment I will never forget...